Sunday, July 27, 2008

Desert Rose WIP - VII

I started working on the leaves and stem. I mainly used a mix of UM Blue and Sap Green. I started the leaves with just some UM Blue and dropped in some Quin Red and once that is dry I then started adding the green mixture. I usually keep some Undersea Greene (DS) ready to use for darker areas and drop in some more red if needed. The stem is burnt umber with the green mixture dropped in while wet.


Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I can see the values emerging with this one now that you are adding some of the foliage structures. Nice color choices!

Vicki Greene said...

Thank you Susan. I lost more white than I wanted to on the petals early on. Should have let the paper dry a bit more before starting to add color but decided to continue without scrubbing out and see what happened. I am going to put in a dark background to hopefully make the flower really stand out.